|Barbara Williams, Mentoring Enrichment Team Leader|
The Mentoring Enrichment Team (MET) Ministry is organized to strengthen student academic abilities and to aid in developing future leaders through support and mentorship. MET endeavors to assist students by providing ongoing homework assistance and annual educational workshops and programs. Some of the programs provided by the Ministry are described below. All programs are open to Rising Star church members, their family and friends, as well as the greater Rising Star community.
- Homework Assistance: Assistance is provided every Wednesday night from 6 pm to 7 pm during the academic year. However, additional times can be arranged between the parent, student and MET. Students are encouraged to begin bringing homework, or any topic/exercise they would like to clarify, within the very first few weeks of class and not to wait until right before an exam. Assistance is provided throughout the academic year. Click HERE to sign-up for Homework Help.
- College Application and FAFSA Workshop: This workshop provides both parents and students with an overview of the components of the Common Application – a general college application - produced by the National Association for College Admission Counseling (www.commonapp.org). Students will also receive invaluable tips for completing an eye-catching application. Parents and students are also provided guidance on how to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which can be obtained from www.fafsa.gov. This workshop is offered in January.
- Summer Reading Program: This program is in partnership with the Pima County Library. Youth and teens are encouraged to read from either the recommended summer reading list provided by their school or the summer reading list provided by the Library and adults can read any selection they desire. Prizes are offered are for reaching milestones and are awarded by both Pima County Library and MET. This program runs from June through July.
- Back-to-School Boot Camp and Parent Information Forum: This program is created to prepare students for the school year. It is structured to equip students with invaluable skills and outlooks and approaches to their school work. Examples of topics covered during this workshop include positive thinking, motivation, organization, note taking, concentration, procrastination, goal setting, study habits, learning styles, test taking and advocating for your child(ren)’s education. This program is offered in June.
- Alumni College and Armed Forces Fair: Students will have the opportunity to meet with alumni from colleges and universities across the country. The alumni will give a first-hand account of their experiences at the institution they graduate from. Similarly, members of the Armed Forces will also provide accounts of their experiences. This program is held in the Fall.
- SAT Review Workshop: This program is conducted by Double800.com. A select number of students will be chosen, via an application process, to participate in an 8-week preparation course. Workshops will be held on Saturdays from 1:00-3:30pm at Rising Star. A commitment to attend all workshops is required. The facilitators of the preparation course have a track record of increasing scores by 200 points and more. This program runs for eight (8) consecutive weeks beginning in October and concluding the last week of November.