|Nathaniel & Michelle McKelvey, Marriage Ministry Leaders|
- Preventing bad marriages
- Strengthening good marriages
- Saving troubled marriages
- Reconciling broken marriages
Good marriages grow through the years as couples grow in their ability to communicate, deal with differences, and keep their commitment to each other alive. A Marriage Ministry is designed to help couples begin building and strengthening their relationship to each other and to God.
- Concentrate On Loving Your Spouse, Not On Your Compatibility: No matter who your spouse is, you can learn to love each other. In contrast to the prevailing idea that love is something that just happens, Paul commanded husbands to love their wives (Ephesians 5:25) and wives to love their husbands (Titus 2:4). Scripture doesn’t even recognize the possibility of incompatibility between two marriage partners God simply commands both the husband and the wife to love each other.
- A Married Couple’s Commitment
Both partners must recognize that the marriage is first of all, a commitment to Christ and second, a commitment to each other. Our best defense against forces that will erode our marriage is for both to maintain a deep, profound, and shared relationship with Jesus Christ and a commitment to obey God’s Word. Finally, a faithful, obedient walk with the Lord will keep us from stumbling and provide us with strength to endure the hard times and enjoy the good times as husband and wife.
A Married Couple’s Checklist
- Keep God FIRST!
- Pray Together!
- Respect and honor each other!
- Encourage each other to grow together!
- Read the Bible together as much as possible!
- Be swift to hear and slow to speak!
- Make time to communicate with each other!
- Protect and honor your marriage vows!
- Do not let others come between your marriage!
- Have a “Mission Statement” for your Marriage & Family!
- Thank God every day for your Mate & the life you have together!
- Understand that “love” is a choice, not a feeling! (You must choose every day to Love your mate)
AND when times get rough, remember…
“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
Marriage Ministry Resources: